Data and Tool Access
Explore each section for instructions on how to obtain access to reporting tools available at Ohio State.
A note about data access: To view a list of available data sources in the RAE, please access the Certified Enterprise Dashboards link. Tableau access is required to view.
Please use the IT Service Desk 'Order Service' form (login required) to request access to Collibra.
Reporting and Analytics Environment (RAE) Access includes Enterprise reports and data sources
- Log in to the IT Service Desk
- Select Order Now.
- Verify the information in the shopping cart is correct and select checkout.
Tableau Desktop Access
Starting February 1, 2022, to request a new Creator License, email Rob Feinholz at RobF@cdwg.com. Please include the name and name.n of the person the license will be assigned to.
All licenses will be quoted to the common renewal date of 7/22.
Tableau Developers are required to sign the Tableau Digital Accessibility Acknowledgement via DocuSign and accept the terms of Ohio State's digital accessibility policy.
Your quote will be emailed to you once it is received by CDW.
- Using Workday purchasing, submit payment for the quote. If you need assistance, contact your cost center’s finance team.
- Once the PO is paid and complete, please forward confirmation of completed purchase order and notification that your keys have been added to the portal to CIO-TableauAdmin@osu.edu. The Tableau Team will then mark your license as ‘Creator’.
Should you need more immediate access to Tableau, you can download a trial version (2 weeks) from tableau.com.
Yearly Tableau Desktop License Renewals
- The Tableau team will send an email to all current Tableau Server Creators, letting them know their licenses are due to expire, and include steps to follow for renewal.
- If you need more information please contact CIO-TableauAdmin@osu.edu.
Tableau Server Access
Tableau Server is available to the Ohio State community at tableau.osu.edu.
The Enterprise Site License for Tableau Server is licensed and maintained by Ohio State’s Data and Analytics team.
If you need project access in Tableau start by checking to see if your area has a Tableau project leader. If you do not, send an email to CIO-TableauAdmin@osu.edu. The Data and Analytics team will work with you in determining the next steps for access.
Tableau Permissions and Security
The intersection of a user’s license type, site role, and content permissions determines the level of access a user has on the Tableau site. License type and site role is set and controlled by the OTDI Data and Analytics Tableau team. The project lead and creators control content permissions.
There are four security roles for every project.
- Viewer – the lowest level of access; allows viewing workbooks and views, adding comments and tags, filtering, and exporting visualizations to pdf, cross-tab, and images
- Explorer - includes all the permissions of the Viewer role; allows creating and sharing customized views, downloading full data, web editing, and downloading workbook.
- Explorer (can publish) – includes all the permissions of the Explorer role; allows limited publishing capabilities.
- Creator – includes all the permissions of the Viewer role, and can create views/workbooks/dashboards, download existing views/workbooks from the Server, use web authoring to change workbooks.
Content may be set to denied, allowed, or unspecified. If a user is a member of two or more groups and any single group denies a capability, the user will be denied the permission.